How big is this problem?
- About 3,000,000 Americans are injured every year.
- About 1,500,000 will develop chronic pain. About 300,000 people will become disabled; usually due to pain.
- Nearly half of all chronic neck pain in America is due to car crashes and most of these crashes are LOSRIC (Low Speed, Rear ImpactÂ Collision).
- About 9% of all Americans suffer from chronic pain due to LOSRIC.
Signs and symptoms
People who experience whiplash may develop one or more of the following symptoms, usually within the first two weeks after the accident (but symptoms may take up to 6 months to develop):
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Pain in the shoulder or between the shoulder blades
- Low back pain
- Pain or numbness in the arm and/or hand
- Ringing in the ears or blurred vision
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
- Irritability, sleep disturbances, fatigue
Factors that will increase your risk of injury
- Being struck from behind
- Not being aware of the impending crash
- Having your head turned or in a poor position at the time of impact
- A prior injury
- Prior headaches
- Prior neck pain
- No head restraint or poor head restraint position (Over 85% of people have their head restraint positioned incorrectly)
- Advanced age
- Disc disease
- Non-failure of your seat
- Use of your seat belt/shoulder harness*
*Always use your seat belt and shoulder harness as they can save your life!